Unlike oil and gas, electricity is not a primary source of energy. It needs to be manufactured from other energy sources.
 
In 2010, hydro was the source of 97.10% of Newfoundland and Labrador's electricity. Oil, diesel, natural gas, biomass and other alternatives account for the other 2.90%. Newfoundland and Labrador has no coal fired or nuclear power plants. Wind generation came online after 2006.
 
Newfoundland and Labrador produces all of its own electricity needs. See its production statistics here.
 
RESIDENTIAL
PRODUCTION
In 2010, production
consumed 14,892,720 GJ and
emitted 701,718 GHG tonnes.